Re: [LUG] OT Win 10

Update on Laptop,
did a Bios reset again, looked at logs for Win and last error was Acpi
shutdown.
Ran openhardware monitor and Heavyload and cpu temps shot up to 70 Deg C
Fan only seemed to turn on when I opened the monitor (coiencidence ? )
        upshot is now Laptop runs within 7 Deg of Shutoff on Heavyload, but is
stable at this. Ran Cooler on Mint stress test than Win 7 ( Norton is
on!)
So carried on with Win 10 update, took 2 hours but no reboots
(unexpected) and all is OK!
Have shutdown and rebooted 5 times all fine so will leave it at that
advising to not run the laptop on a Cushion.

On Tue, 2015-08-11 at 20:52 +0000, mr meowski wrote:
> On 11/08/15 21:35, Kevin Lucas wrote:
>
> > Seriously though, Can a win10 update "bork" a Samsung Laptop I5
> > np350v5c?  had one  in the the Shop today just keeps randomly rebooting,
> > Took out the HD and put in a Mint one, it booted up  for about 4 mins
> > then Mint said System shutting down ( we didnt press any Keys) and it
> > shuts down!
> > Then tries to restart fails before booting the OS and restarts... Took
> > out Bat and RAM but still random reboots / Shut-downs.
> > Once got to the BIOS and loaded Defaults but no fix? going to rip out
> > the ON/OFF button to see if it's stuck! if this fails its scrap.
> > Coincidence? or MS?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/windows_10_download_bricks_pcs_kb3081424/
>
> Sounds like it's probably this. Check windows update history for
> KB3081424 if it will stay up for long enough.
>
> And no, the chances of it literally bricking anything is almost
> non-existent. Recover the data, flatten everything and start again and
> all will be fine.
>
> Emergency reset EFI and/or reflash to base UEFI image if necessary.
> Report back if help is required.
>
> Cheers

Regards

Kevin Lucas