Re: [LUG] OT Win 10

On 11/08/15 21:35, Kevin Lucas wrote:

> Seriously though, Can a win10 update "bork" a Samsung Laptop I5
> np350v5c?  had one  in the the Shop today just keeps randomly rebooting,
> Took out the HD and put in a Mint one, it booted up  for about 4 mins
> then Mint said System shutting down ( we didnt press any Keys) and it
> shuts down!
> Then tries to restart fails before booting the OS and restarts... Took
> out Bat and RAM but still random reboots / Shut-downs.
> Once got to the BIOS and loaded Defaults but no fix? going to rip out
> the ON/OFF button to see if it's stuck! if this fails its scrap.
> Coincidence? or MS?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/windows_10_download_bricks_pcs_kb3081424/

Sounds like it's probably this. Check windows update history for
KB3081424 if it will stay up for long enough.

And no, the chances of it literally bricking anything is almost
non-existent. Recover the data, flatten everything and start again and
all will be fine.

Emergency reset EFI and/or reflash to base UEFI image if necessary.
Report back if help is required.

Cheers