Re: [LUG] Firefox v40 and Chrome

On 13/08/15 15:14, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:57:15 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:17:20 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

The latest Firefox v40 is clunky and bloaty. Even more clunky than
The main culprits seem to be Hello, Pocket, Reader & WebRTC.  I've
installed an add-on (titled Disable Hello, Pocket & Reader+) to
disable all four, and FF seems to be smoother.

As for Neil's issue, I suggest he starts FF in safe mode to see if he
can then log into his bank account.  If he can, then start adding them
back one by one to see what causes the problem.  I know it's a
PITA....

Never heard of Hello etc named above. I will try safe mode and see what
happens.

Besides Opera, which I have had around for ages, I also have midori and
vivaldi installed, from a time when I was checking out various browsers.
I have tested them both and the bank account log in works fine. It seems
to be just FF v 40.

Neil

FF v40 seems to be working well for me so far.

My understanding is that Firefox lazy loads it's code so if you don't use Hello, Pocket etc. it doesn't get loaded. Having said that, I have disabled these items in about:config

hello:
loop.enabled = false

pocket:
browser.pocket.enabled = false

reader+:
reader.parse-on-load.enabled = false

When I've had display/rendering/slowness problems previously, it's been due to graphics driver issues and have noticed other symptoms elsewhere

Martin