Re: [LUG] Firefox v40 and Chrome

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015, Neil Winchurst wrote:

My current version of FF is 40. Today I suddenly had a problem trying
to log on to my bank account. I had a message saying that it had been
permanently moved. (It hasn't.) I have contacted the bank and they
suggest it is a problem with this version of FF or possibly one of my
add-ons or extensions.

I also have a copy of Opera installed so I tried that and it works as
expected. However, the bank says that Opera is not a browser that they
use, so how about Chromium, just until FF upgrades again and possibly
sorts itself out. (Or I find out which add on is the problem. I have
not touched any add-ons for ages.)

I have tried Chromium a bit in the past and I just didn't like it.
However it may be better now.

Does anyone  on the list use Chromium? How does it compare with FF? I am
using Xubuntu 14.04 LTS. The version of Chromium in the software centre
is shown as  43.0.2357.130-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1092.

The latest Firefox v40 is clunky and bloaty. Even more clunky than previous ones. To the point that scrolling is no-longer smooth and every few seconds it seems to jam the CPU at 100% for no reason that I can see. I even tried restarting it with no tabs open, but as soon as I open a tab or 2 the CPU spiking and ckunkyness returns.

The Chromium I use appears to be:

Version 37.0.2062.120 Built on Debian 7.6, running on Debian 7.8 (281580)

It seems fine. I use it for banking and other weird sites, and where I want a "sandboxed" profile - e.g. facebook.

The current firefox just might make me want to use chromium more though - especially if I can make flashblocker/adblock+/ghostery work just as well in it...

Gordon