Re: [LUG] Firefox v40 and Chrome

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:17:20 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The latest Firefox v40 is clunky and bloaty. Even more clunky than
> previous ones. To the point that scrolling is no-longer smooth and
> every few seconds it seems to jam the CPU at 100% for no reason that
> I can see. I even tried restarting it with no tabs open, but as soon
> as I open a tab or 2 the CPU spiking and ckunkyness returns.

I have not had anything like that so far.

> The Chromium I use appears to be:
>
> Version 37.0.2062.120 Built on Debian 7.6, running on Debian 7.8
> (281580)
>
> It seems fine. I use it for banking and other weird sites, and where
> I want a "sandboxed" profile - e.g. facebook.
>
> The current firefox just might make me want to use chromium more
> though - especially if I can make flashblocker/adblock+/ghostery work
> just as well in it...
>
> Gordon

Thanks, I must have another look at Chromium. One problem with updates
on Linux is that you might get a newer version of a program, eg FF,
which you  don't really want. I checked my wife's laptop, which is
working ok for the bank account, and her FF is still on version 39. If
some more updates appear and she runs them, she may end up with version
40 of FF, and have a problem.

I do not know of anyway to run just some of the updates, but leave one
unchanged. I will at least install chromium and see how it goes. I
suppose there are some add-ons to install, like FF?

Neil