Re: [LUG] On : Windows 7 basic

just installed 7 on a few zoostorm fizzbooks 10'',dual core atoms with 1 gb of ram,they seem to run ok.

On 03/08/2015 20:25, Rob Beard wrote:
On 2015-07-24 09:15, Daniel Robinson wrote:
That will be perfect,  and the limitations dont seem that bad at all.

 I guess the naming changed after vista.  Thank you for your
assistance.
On 24 Jul 2015 8:44 am, "alex mclennan" <windswordcomputers@xxxxxxxx
[3]> wrote:

would 7 starter not do

Is Windows 7 Starter available to non OEMs? I've not even seen it offered on eBay.

You'll probably find if the machine has less than 2GB of Ram these days it'll throw up an error message about having a lack of memory when installing Windows Updates. I found that recently when installing Windows Thin PC (a cut down enterprise only version of Windows 7) on an Asus Nettop with only 1GB Ram. Once it was installed though it worked okay for such a slow machine.

Other option, old ex corporate laptops are getting really cheap now. You can probably pick up a reasonable ish Core 2 Duo machine with a couple of GB of Ram for under Â100 on eBay, or SCH Trade have HP Core i5 machines for Â115 (really tempted to replace my trusty old Acer which now has a dead backlight).

Rob