Re: [LUG] Managing multiple Linux clients.

On 28/07/15 17:01, Mark Williams wrote:
> Any thoughts on methods to proceed or good tips for starting with
> Chef/Puppet?

I use Puppet to manage about 10 servers (not a lot) and a few touch
screen units. Your best bet is to get stuck in and hit a few roadblocks.
It can take time and patience but should be worth it. Getting used to
the DSL (no iteration!) can be tricky if you are used to imperative
languages and things such as the master->client model and 'facts' are a
must know.

With Puppet make sure you use Hiera for configuration and use modules
from the 'Forge' that fit your needs. There are a lot of modules that do
the same (e.g. Apache) so test them out and pick whatever works best for
you.

Personally I create a 'directory environment' and a base module that
wraps around and utilises third-party modules. Hiera is then used to
overwrite or extend what I have set as default values.

I'm not sure about Chef, Ansible etc.

Gibbs