Re: [LUG] Multi head with Jessie.

On 28/06/15 14:41, Tom wrote:
> On 28/06/15 06:41, Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> Given up on Nouveau for now.
>> Running with the long duration driver from NVIDIA rather than the short
>> one as above.
>>
>> Iceweasel does some segfaults and there is at least one page that
>> provoked a hang of the whole system, but mostly it is a joy to use.
>>
>> The speed from a small SSD for system disk, and the big graphics card is
>> very welcome.

> Just as kernel 4.1 provides the answers - possibly possibly not
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-kernel-41-released
> Tom te tom te tom

I had a lot of problems recently with my heavily tinkered with system -
eventually purged 95% of my PPAs and reinstalled a corrupted glibc and
things have been fine since. Looks like I might be able to put off the
dreaded migration to Arch for a while.

Seems a bit weird that you're getting segfaults on IceWeasel - maybe
flash or some other plugin related? Hardware accelerated flash is on by
default and notoriously buggy, probably worth investigating. I'd also
download or compile a Firefox Nightly and run with that for a while to
see if it's fixed upstream. I ran Debian Sid as my main OS for ages and
even Sid is so woefully outdated it's ridiculous! I ended up compiling
tons of stuff in a local repo until it inevitably massively borked
itself and I gave up and switched to Ubuntu. A decision I'm still
regretting.

Small SSDs suck: the 128Gb ones only have a single or dual controller to
the NAND flash banks, thus slower throughput. Always buy a 512Gb or
higher unit as they can have two or even four times the controller lanes
and therefore throughput. Price/performance ratio is a no-brainer in
this case.

I didn't need a 512Gb SSD root disk for my workstation, but I bought one
anyway as it has much higher throughput than the cheaper 128/256Gb
models. I'll think of something to do with the extra space anyway (VMs).

Waiting for https://pf.natalenko.name/ to update to the latest 4.1
before I rebuild my kernel again: I base my system on pf's awesome specs
with a few more additional tweaks. Us apt users are still out in the
cold regarding the much touted no-reboot kernel upgrades, pretty much
all of the work is in RedHat/Oracle (ksplice) and OpenSuse (kGraft).
Looking forward to vGPGPU support in Xen and eventually KVM though. Good
times :]

ghost@failbot:~$ uname -r
4.0-pf6-meowski+
ghost@failbot:~$ lsb_release -rc