Re: [LUG] Multi head with Jessie.

Thanks.
Given up on Nouveau for now.
Running with the long duration driver from NVIDIA rather than the short one as above.

Iceweasel does some segfaults and there is at least one page that provoked a hang of the whole system, but mostly it is a joy to use.

The speed from a small SSD for system disk, and the big graphics card is very welcome.

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 13:51Âbad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24/06/15 01:40, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> What driver are you using for the GTX970?

ghost@failbot:~$ apt-cache policy nvidia-current
nvidia-current:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 304.125-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1
 Version table:
  Â304.125-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1 0
    500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main
amd64 Packages
  Â304.125-0ubuntu0.0.1 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
trusty-updates/restricted
amd64 Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
trusty-security/restricted
amd64 Packages
  Â304.117-0ubuntu1 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/restricted amd64
Packages

ghost@failbot:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
rc nvidia-343
343.22-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1
amd64Â Â Â Â NVIDIA binary driver - version 343.22
ii nvidia-346
346.72-0ubuntu0~xedgers14.04.2
amd64Â Â Â Â NVIDIA binary driver - version 346.72
rc nvidia-opencl-icd-343
343.22-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1
amd64Â Â Â Â NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii nvidia-opencl-icd-346
346.72-0ubuntu0~xedgers14.04.2
amd64Â Â Â Â NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
rc nvidia-prime                 0.6.2
                       Âamd64    Tools to
enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii nvidia-settings
352.21-0ubuntu0~xedgers14.04.1
amd64Â Â Â Â Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

Looks a bit messy, because it is. Had so many problems recently with my
tortured Ubuntu installation I ended up purging PPAs, flushing caches
and ripping out everything until my system went back to "just working".
I'm adding stuff back in cautiously now so my workstation is a bit of a
mess at the moment.

>From experience it's not usually the Nvidia drivers that are the
problem, more third party patches to cairo or mesa that wreck everything.

I'd recommend going with the stock (proprietary) drivers on Debian, or
the xorg-edgers PPA if you're on Ubuntu/Mint. Forget Nouveau for a GTX 970.

Cheers