Re: [LUG] how to fix read only USB key?

On 06/06/2015 19:23, bad apple wrote:
> On 06/06/15 11:20, jay bennie wrote:
>> type df to check nothing magic happened and the usb should not be mounted.

>> create 1 partition the full size of the disk
>>
>> write it
>>
>> reboot (keep disk in machine)
>
> Reboots are for the weak...
>
> sudo sync
> sudo eject /dev/sdXY
> re-plug it
> keep calm and carry on following the otherwise excellent instructions
>
> You have almost definitely uncovered a flaw in a poor quality USB drive
> though - I would simply throw it away unless it's an expensive or
> unusually high capacity drive still in warranty. You're just going to
> keep having problems with it I suspect. Is it by any chance a cheap
> class C silicon edge-of-the-wafer bit of NAND flash in a Chinese plastic
> case? There's a reason why those 256Gb USB3 sticks on Ebay only cost
> £8.99...
>
> Cheers

Yes. It was cheap but branded, [not a major company] ( meaning
marketable price; not cheap as in doggy low cost china site offering). I
am putting it down to experience.
I am awaiting answer from German 'brand ' company.
I may invest in some small size USB to see it I can reproduce incident.
I have tried all suggestions to no avail.
I have however learn a few things, that is the good part of reading what
folk on the LUG post! As ever it educates me.

USB Key is seen by computer and files on it are seen, (on Linux, and
windows)  e.g casper-rw, syslinux.cfg, etc, but as it did not complete
set up, I assume a software error OR intent in Unetbootin to lock USB
Key to act like a CD for purposes of a live linux use.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald