Re: [LUG] Multi head with Jessie.

PNY NVS 290.

I've had them a while.

Yes, I had a feeling they might be over spec.

Is there some black art to getting two cards running as opposed to a single card with multiple outputs? It certainly looks as though just putting cards in slots should allow a desktop to be connected up over them.

I have 1 16 lane PCIe slot and 2 1 lane slot.

On Sun, 31 May 2015 02:55Âbad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 31/05/15 00:29, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Thanks. Not DICOM.
> I'd been looking at a ONY Quadro NVS 510.
>
> (THE 270S are PNY Quadro whatever that means. )
>
> So the Geforce is nicely cheaper.
>
> The Matrox card was lovely, until Wheezy became obsolete. I've
> considered reinstalling Wheezy, and running Jessie in a virtual machine
> on it, but that seems stupidly complex and I don't know if it would even
> work with the card.

Let me break it down for you (that sounds like the intro to a rap track
but whatever):

"PNY" are an OEM like Asus or MSI:

https://www.pny.com/

"Quadro" is the workstation class of super high-quality but expensive
graphics cards. They're basically top-binned die casts of the regular
silicon with tweaked drivers. It's often possible to reflash SOHO level
cards with Quadro drivers instead as the underlying hardware is
essentially identical. This is as opposed to the non-Quadro range of
consumer graphics cards, nominated usually as GTX $value. A GTX will
normally do 99% of whatever you want at 10% the cost, unless you happen
to be a GPGPU aficionado or a professional graphics/meteorology person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro

"270s" has temporarily stumped me. Are you sure that's not just your
driver version or something? Because it's not an official Nvidia
hardware designation.

What does "lspci -vvv | grep -i nvidia" give you?

Lastly, it sounds like you may be seriously overspeccing here: list your
requirements and I (or anyone else obviously) can make an informed
suggestion. If you don't have specific 10/12bit/4k/>60Hz requirements -
which is what I normally check for medical scenarios - you could
probably get away with spending Â30 on a low end Nvidia card or two.

Running 2+ monitors at high quality on a linux system is hardly rocket
science these days. If that is your only requirement you are seriously
overthinking things. Pretty much *anything* would work - just buy it and
plug it in.

Cheers