Re: [LUG] Multi head with Jessie.

On 31/05/15 12:47, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> PNY NVS 290.
>
> I've had them a while.
>
> Yes, I had a feeling they might be over spec.
>
> Is there some black art to getting two cards running as opposed to a
> single card with multiple outputs?  It certainly looks as though just
> putting cards in slots should allow a desktop to be connected up over them.
>
> I have 1 16 lane PCIe slot and 2 1 lane slot.

Ah, 290 not 270 - no wonder I didn't find anything when I googled it.
Probably my bad there.

I'm not actually too sure as it's been a long time since I've had
multiple graphics cards in a Linux machine - for a long time my
principal workstation was a Sun Ultra 60 looted from a stock traders in
London that had 4 graphics cards (2 X Creator3Ds + 2 x PGX32s) and 4
Sun/Sony Trinitron monitors hooked up to it - it ran Aurora Sparc Linux
and getting all of the screens running at once was an exercise in sheer
pain. It took me weeks, if not months, of hacking away at xorg.conf to
make it work and it would break every time I upgraded something.

So yes, it's been a long time but I only remember multiple graphics
cards under Linux being awful and always requiring manual intervention -
single graphics card running multiple monitors under Linux however I've
been doing forever and it's just not an issue anymore: everything Just
Works(tm).

As you've only got one full 16 lane PCIe slot available, you've not
really got an option - you'll have to buy a single card capable of
driving as many monitors as you want to drive. A 970 is still probably
massive overkill quite frankly, but it is still cheaper than the
workstation class cards and cheaper even than the expensive but useless
Matrox it'd be replacing. You don't need 10bit or any fancy requirements
for medical imaging or GPGPU processing so save a bit of money - a 970
will not only future-proof you for years to come (mine handles a 4k
desktop no problem) but will also suck less power, stay quieter and best
of all, it's guaranteed to work. I'm typing this on a Debian-based Linux
workstation on a monitor being driven by a 970 right now after all*.

Cheers

* disclaimer: Just a happy customer, not affiliated with Nvidia in any
way. I've also owned and used many AMD graphics cards under Linux as
well, mostly happily. I'd still unequivocally recommend Nvidia for high
end graphics for Linux users.