Re: [LUG] GoPro editing

On 03/05/15 11:32, Mark Williams wrote:
> If you value your sanity, no chance.
>
> Video processing largely depends on the CPU. Final Cut Pro can
> accelerate that with GPU optimisation, e.g. the Mercury Quartz Engine
> but you're otherwise wanting something with a decent processor and lots
> of RAM, particularly for HD footage.
>
> A fast disc is also important. SSDs will wear faster with the number of
> writes but if you use a spinning disc, don't use anything less than 7200
> RPM. Creative houses typically use eSata RAID drives or a SAN but that's
> less useful in the field.

Agreed - I spent years supporting Mac guys that do nothing but edit
video footage down (frequently onsite) and the short answer is buy the
most powerful laptop you can afford. Even that won't really be up to the
job, but it's the best you're going to get. Proper video editing
*requires* - not recommends - as much power as you can throw at it: Mac
Pro or similarly powerful workstations, fibre/esata/SAN backed storage
and a ton of CPU/GPU power to drive several massive screens.

On a tablet? Forget it.

Now you can actually shunt relatively large amounts of data on/off a
tablet: in my case, I have a rooted Nexus 10 that I occasionally need to
shift multiple gigs of data across - Megasync, stickmount and a couple
of large OTG USB drives handle that job nicely. I probably could even
install some kind of video editing tools on it and attempt what you're
asking, but I'm not going to because it would massively suck and be a
complete waste of time.

Anything short of a MacBook Pro or similarly powerful laptop just isn't
going to cut it in the field for anything better than the most trivial
of editing. I'm currently using a Dell Precision M3800 and occasionally
help out a couple of friends shooting a documentary: even though it's a
quad i7 with hyperthreading, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD and a native 4K screen
editing in-field on raw RED 4K footage is painful. 1080p is manageable,
but even that can make Sony Vegas crawl to a halt. So it's edited on a
monster workstation instead, as god intended.

The short answer is that you're asking the impossible. On the other
hand, I would love it if after a couple of days silence you come back to
the list and announce you've found a perfectly good solution to your
problem and are now happily editing on a tablet because that would
really help me out too...