Re: [LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

On 14/03/15 22:57, bad apple wrote:
On 14/03/15 22:16, Eion MacDonald wrote:
Dear folk, 20150314 2115
Some answers:

Back up of documents: say two machines documents about 120Gb each plus
one machine by 50Gb total,
with a small subset of documents that must be held long term**.

Electronically all must be kept for 7 years and some for 15 years due
financial transactions (bank guarantees, contract documents, letters of
credit etc.)
   .. I hold printed copies at firm I work at, and they hold electronic
backups in USA/UK/Cz, but these are only 'final copies'.

** The 40 year legal requirement documents I hold as hard copies, but
that is only a few documents, say a couple of dozen pages A4 or letter.

    Arbitration and legal shoots outs need logic and working copies stage
by stage, these are on my machines and on my external hard discs  and
previously on the WD machine as working copy.

  My copies are in case of a legal shoot out with the company I contract
to. I do not want to lose a (say 5 million GBP) Professional Indemnity
suit. My insurance costs would go up!
Example: I refused to sanction  or accept a contract wording. However by
underhand methods the sales guy [desperate for reward or?]  engaged the
company to a Russian Client with real bad terms. My back ups showed I
had not sanctioned the wording or bank guarantee wordings, my work
machine showed same but a legal department  had hard 'signed' copy
showing contract sanctioned and accepted. (Umm! don't ask!) Losses now
in multi millions to date. Russian work is not easy.
So I exercise a degree of caution.

Of the work machines at home, all have both MS Windows 7  and 'MS
Outlook' and Linux installed one as dual boot and two as virtual
machines.
My client company is 'tied' to MS outlook as main communications tool
(upgrading slowly from XP to windows 7 over 4500 seats!) thus my use as
MS Outlook 'winmail.dat' forwarding does not render well in Thunderbird.
I can segregate out but easier to use MS Outlook to save the forwarded
attachments to my computer documents, while replying from Thunderbird.

In reality, I have separate 'images' of machines monthly in case of hard
disc failure inside machines.
This also saves fixed date  documents etc.

However I found the WD type disc useful as a second line back up while
working on documents.
Remote access was available but never used. I would not set up remote
access over internet up again.
As my 'paid work' is inside MS OSs that is where for accessibility I
would want main document working back ups to link to. I connected the WD
to a spare ethernet connection on my BTHomeHub 3 and it was usable.

Linux machines are on OpenSUSE 13.2 as OS.
Knoppix as live USB and DVD
PS my introduction to Linux was use of Knoppix from floppy discs on
Soviet computers to get a workable system I could use when in Soviet
establishments, so I have a 'soft spot' for Knoppix.

WD state.
" Were you able to retrieve the info
from the failed WD by the way, or is it totalled?"
  No data recovered via Knoppix. No 'handshake' with GParted in or out of
case when stripped. Disc rotated.
I have other backups (and the source machines still) so can be reproduced.

Sorry, long and rambling but gives you background.

Wow, your job sounds pretty interesting - sort of thing that would make
a good conversation in the pub; "You do what?!"

Long story short, Simon was pretty much right: set up a VM, install
Linux and use backuppc or a bunch of homecooked rsync scripts and you'll
have rotated automated backups of all your stuff. Test the restore
functionality before settling on anything: all backup solutions are only
as good as their ability to actually restore your files when needed.

<snip>

Can just ask what is probably a very basic question here. I notice many experienced folk recommend setting up a VM for the backups. Why is this please?

Many thanks
roly :-)

O yes, and Eion your job sounds very interesting - perhaps you should write a book! haha! :-)