Re: [LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

On 14/03/2015 20:52, Simon Avery wrote:
> Hi Eion
>
> You're asking a linux group, so I'm going to give a linux answer.
>
> A linux server (quiet or old machinery, stuffed in the loft if noise is
> an issue), running 24/7
>
> a) Samba sharing a working directory between machines.
>
> b) backuppc. This would also be backing up
> 1) local files (/etc and /home and any other files that are useful to you)
> 2) That working directory
> 3) the windows/linux clients (cygwin rsyncd for the winboxes, it avoids
> the pesky permissions issues - contact me if you need help with this;
> and straight rsyncd on the linux boxes/boots.)
>
> Backuppc is a tad tricksy to setup, but very reliable, efficient and
> easy to use once it's going. (ie, forget about it until you need to
> recover, which can be done through the web interface). This is not an
> image, for that you'll need something like clonezilla or similar, but is
> less of an automate-able thing to do (IME anyway, others may have better
> solutions)

Dear Folk 20150315 2059
Back to basic question.
1 I do not have any older machines now that could act as a server.
(Given as Linux systems to others to move them off XP)
2. It has to be in kitchen-office, close to router maybe, so electricity
and signal can be supplied. Might be possible in garage Electricity
available there but no ethernet without a lot of walls being drilled.
Last desperation maybe. Walls too  thick for wireless I think but may be
possible.
3. I have never used Samba , so no experience.
4. Any recommendation?
Type, make, OS, etc. Second hand machine?
Cash as usual constained but say up to GBP £100~150 possible.
Set up notes and links etc would be useful.
5 Not possible options:
Use of external cloud storage due nature of some documents.
UK eyes only state.
Cloud uncontrolled for actual storage point or their backups.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald