Re: [LUG] Windows 10 on the pi2

On Tuesday, 24 February 2015, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2015-02-24 13:44, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
I would think that the Pi Foundation is more interested in getting kids
to learn computing skills rather than pushing open source values.

This seems like a smart move by MS which looks like it will be a
different beast under Satya Nadella than it was under that idiot
Ballmer.

I was under the impression that Microsoft are starting to push write once run anywhere ideas for Windows 10 where a developer can write an app and it'll work on a desktop, phone, tablet and XBOX, so maybe Windows 10 on the Pi will be similar. I'm sure for those kids interested in getting into phone/tablet app or console development it's a great way to learn the skills they'd need. Who knows, maybe one of them might come up with the next Minecraft?

Windows 10 is going to be effectively free for personal use if you have
Vista, 7 or 8 to upgrade from which most people not subscribing to
this list will have.
I remember watching the event and how vista wasn't mentioned as part of the free upgrade, this throws me considering the amount of vista machines still being used out there, wonder if Microsoft will say anything come public release. But then what about XP machines as well?Â

I'm quite fortunate of this. While I personally run Linux on my machines two of my daughters begrudgingly run Windows 7. My middle daughter because that's what was on the laptop when I got it back from loaning it to a friend and she won't let me near it and my eldest because she's doing art and digital media at college and uses the full Adobe Creative Suite (which won't work on Linux, and I'm not buying her a Mac). My youngest daughter though is happy with Linux Mint, she can play Flash (ugh) games on her laptop for a couple of days between a new version of Flash being released and she can watch youtube videos so she's happy. I dare say when Windows 10 comes out I'll be upgrading the two Windows machines to Windows 10 and quite possibly when it's upgrade time again my two elder daughters will be working (at least part time) and can save up their own money and buy whatever they want (probably some sort of Apple device because they think Apple is cool).
An apple a day keeps the doctor away!Â- I am planning to upgrade all PCs in my house to windows 10 when the first set of patches come out along with checking compatibility. I rely on Windows for college work and a lot of apps that do not run on Linux however where I can, I use Linux I,e a bit of web dev using Jekyll runs a treat in Linux.Â