[LUG] make -jn

Wot with all these multiprocessor jobies about these days I've been trying to find a valid reason for choosing make -j(n+1 or 2) where n is the number of cores. I've not been able to find anything 'scientific' just suggestions that adding one or two to the core count may allow for some of the tasks waiting for io to be replaced with other tasks but that's wishful thinking rather than 'good software engineering'. Anyone know different or how to test a running program so the value can be optimised?
Tom te tom te tom