Re: [LUG] Checking a hard disk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have just run badblocks on a hard disk I wish to test. 0 bad blocks found. :-)

With this encouraging result, should I take it that the disk is totally fine to use or should I be running another diagnostic test?

Many thanks & hope you are all well? :-)

You should enable SMART for the drive and then run the smart tests on it. These can be run daily via cron for the short tests and weekly for the long ones.

Do remember to check the logs!

smartmontools is the debian package that has most of it.

Gordon