Re: [LUG] UK digital skills report

On 18/02/15 17:45, Jay Bennie wrote:

> [...]
Well if this user group is full of programmers why are more people not
> volunteering to do things like code club, pass your skills to the
> next generation, so that hopefully in a few years the people you
> work for will have a pool of talent to choose from when looking for
> more staff.
>
> There are people on the Linux user group who are trying to address
> this we would really like more support from other people.  Running
> and attending Pi jams for example.
>
>> PI jams are far to dry for learners, its not the way forward for
>> age 8+ and there are a whole bunch of issues around CRB checking.

You only need to be DBS checked for regular contact (more than once a
month),  Jams are also public events so anyone can attend,  in general
children are there with parents.   I have 2 DBS checks one from work
and one from the rugby club that can be used for volunteer work,  and
Tom and Gordon are both stem ambassadors,  this was good enough for
the library services,  it just depends on the person at the other end,
 and if they are willing to accept that.

Pi jams are good for support, beginner or advanced, we can demo
projects, swap code,  look at the latest add ons,  but the torbay jam
is now using Arduino and other similar devices.  So we are no longer
simply a Pi jam,  more of a hack / coding jam sort of thing,  hard to
really think of a good title so will stick to Pi jam.

> To run a code club requires you to actually like coding but you
> also need to be able to communicate with children / young people in
> that sort of environment,  I am not sure if the two vocations mix
> that well but some of us are trying and reports like this just say,
> what we are doing is not good enough,
>
> it will never be good enough will it, Rather then releasing
> reports saying how well people are doing,  we have reports that
> ignore all the good work and say what people are doing is not good
> enough,  We only started this new curriculum in September so a bit
> early to say it is not working.
>

>> It is working and keep it up - my the points of critique about
>> education failures not code club per say - I see issues of over
>> focus, and techniques such as bio-engineering and NLP are also
>> important, but i don't see those in the curriculum yet?

I can see your point.  I will just keep going with the pi jams, I am
trying to reach out to form links with other groups,  so depending on
what happens I will update the pi jam page on the website to suit.

> so thank you to these people for saying I am not good enough,  I
> am doing my best with virtually no support,  granted for torbay
> things are in the pipeline but not sure what yet and only as I am
> asking people for help.

What I mean is that I am working on it,  more behind the scenes.  I am
part of various forums and have been invited on to others. .

>> sorry it a problem of geography and money. If i could help i
>> would.

I appreciate that,   There are barriers which we cannot get round so

> We have young people who are really keen and no one to really
> fully support them if they ask for help we just try our best to
> help them.
>

>> having run these clubs, there are legitimate obstacles to doing
>> it out with the schools, I know the kids love it, but at the
>> level being trained its essentially scripted and teachers really
>> shouldn't be having trouble getting to grips with it.

As it was pointed out coding is more than just 1 skill it is an art
form,

I think this has been said before teaching from a script is fine until
people want to go further,  we were trying to work from a book at the
Exeter Pi jam that was for python under windows,  so clearly faced
with \home\user\ when the book has c:\users can cause confusion,  I
can work with that as I know both,  but I can see where someone new
could struggle.

>> There will be a club being set up in penzance in the late spring.

Cool, as I think the hack space folded, despite the fact i get mails
from them every month.

We can perhaps promote on the lug website etc and use social media,
to good effect, to help spread the word further.

> regards
>
> Paul
>

>> -- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
>> http://mailman.dclug.org.uk/listinfo/list FAQ:
>> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq

- --
http://www.zleap.net @zleap14