Re: [LUG] UK digital skills report

On 18 Feb 2015, at 17:14, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18/02/15 16:07, Jay Bennie wrote:
>> interesting reading, i wonder when people at the top will realise
>> just because you have a qualification, wont mean your any good at
>> it. Software development is as much an art form as it is a trained
>> skill. All this will do is flood the market with crap programmers.
>>

>> http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240240505/UK-failing-to-address-digital-skills-shortage-says-Lords-report?asrc=EM_ERU_39833542&utm_medium=EM&utm_source=ERU&utm_campaign=20150218_ERU%20Transmission%20for%2002/18/2015%20%28UserUniverse:%201391364%29_myka-reports@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&src=5361137
>>

> Well if this user group is full of programmers why are more people not
> volunteering to do things like code club, pass your skills to the next
> generation, so that hopefully in a few years the people you work for
> will have a pool of talent to choose from when looking for more staff.
>
> There are people on the Linux user group who are trying to address
> this we would really like more support from other people.  Running and
> attending Pi jams for example.

PI jams are far to dry for learners, its not the way forward for age 8+ and there
are a whole bunch of issues around CRB checking.

> To run a code club requires you to actually like coding but you also
> need to be able to communicate with children / young people in that
> sort of environment,  I am not sure if the two vocations mix that well
> but some of us are trying and reports like this just say, what we are
> doing is not good enough,
>
> it will never be good enough will it, Rather then releasing reports
> saying how well people are doing,  we have reports that ignore all the
> good work and say what people are doing is not good enough,  We only
> started this new curriculum in September so a bit early to say it is
> not working.

It is working and keep it up - my the points of critique about education failures
not code club per say - I see issues of over focus, and techniques such as
bio-engineering and NLP are also important, but i don't see those in the curriculum
yet?

> so thank you to these people for saying I am not good enough,  I am
> doing my best with virtually no support,  granted for torbay things
> are in the pipeline but not sure what yet and only as I am asking
> people for help.

sorry it a problem of geography and money. If i could help i would.

> We have young people who are really keen and no one to really fully
> support them if they ask for help we just try our best to help them.

having run these clubs, there are legitimate obstacles to doing it out with the
schools, I know the kids love it, but at the level being trained its essentially
scripted and teachers really shouldn't be having trouble getting to grips with it.

There will be a club being set up in penzance in the late spring.