Re: [LUG] Request mailman configuration change;

On 1 February 2015 at 16:18, Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Well - not the "no monthly reminders" bit, won't. That's a global list
>setting FWIR.

It is, yes. Many people leave it on. Myself included ( I run one ML).
I *did* turn it off for a while, but got so many people "complaining"
they weren't receiving it, I turned it back on.

Fair enough. I'm content to have raised the issue, and although I obviously disagree, I am but one - and perhaps some folk have quietly changed their password as a result.Â

>Also editing one of the templates might be enough, but as I say, I don't
>use MM myself any more to know if that's the case.

I think you can, if you have access;Â Many people, myself included, are
hampered by cPanel. This restricts what's easily doable. Anything "out
of the ordinary" and you have to contact the host providers. Sometimes,
they can be reluctant to change things.

Ah, it's hosted somewhere without shell access? That does complicate things certainly. Â Mailman has always, to me, been an odd mix of web interface and command line (you can't create/delete new lists from the webui, for example - but that's more to do with the root access required for system changes and aliases, especially if you've integrated with Exim)
>Maybe there is life in that old dog yet.

It's probably the most popular list management software.

Well it's always been that, but more because there isn't any full featured free alternative that you can host yourself. (AFAIK)

I believe I can be excused for thinking it's not actively developed.Such basics as this should never have been considered a good idea, let alone have not been addressed by what you inform me is an active developer base. Nor to have seen Mailman's appearance or functionality changed much in the decade or more I've been using it... Â(You can and should argue that it didn't need to as far as core behaviour goes, of course)

I think the world has changed significantly since Mailman was first created and lists are again contracting to "the nerds", but that's fine too. Like I said, I quite like the thing, but other forms of communication have somewhat overtaken lists for group collaboration.Â