Re: [LUG] Request mailman configuration change;

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 15:42:07 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>On 1 February 2015 at 12:18, Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Mailman warns not to use sensitive passwords for this reason.  Some of
>That's... An interesting security approach!

To be fair to the mm team;  They're not security people.  Mind you, it's
probably reasonably easy to co-opt some code from somewhere else.
Suitably attributed, of course.

>Well - not the "no monthly reminders" bit, won't. That's a global list
>setting FWIR.

It is, yes.  Many people leave it on.  Myself included ( I run one ML).
I *did* turn it off for a while, but got so many people "complaining"
they weren't receiving it, I turned it back on.

>Also editing one of the templates might be enough, but as I say, I don't
>use MM myself any more to know if that's the case.

I think you can, if you have access;  Many people, myself included, are
hampered by cPanel.  This restricts what's easily doable.  Anything "out
of the ordinary" and you have to contact the host providers.  Sometimes,
they can be reluctant to change things.

>I had somewhat assumed Mailman was abandoned. Having just checked the

Hell, no!

>site, I'm shocked to hear a new version was released only 3 days ago.

Shocked?  Or surprised?

>Maybe there is life in that old dog yet.

It's probably the most popular list management software.

--
 Regards  _
I'm doubling the rent 'coz the building's condemned