Re: [LUG] leap second

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:22:15PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Really though there is no reason to run Linux servers in anything by
> GMT, and just set environment variable or settings for program
> output to have the right timezone. May require re-education of
> users. Bit of a pain when the displayed time is an hour out, but
> saves a whole lot of messing once you are trying to track failures
> across multiple timezones.
>
> "What is this log entry in?" "GMT like all the others".

For log files, GMT (or UTC, as Gordon rightly points out) should be just
fine in almost all cases. But a (significant) difference in the time of
the machine and local time could easily lead to all sorts of mistakes,
when events aren't run at the time they should.

Most of my servers run in UTC, but as I'm now living in UTC+2 (and when
we're back to daylight saving some in UTC+3) it's already getting a
little bit confusing. It must be a lot worse further to the west, or in
the Americas.

Martijn.