Re: [LUG] leap second

On 2015-01-10 01:51, bad apple wrote:
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/torvalds_leapsecond/
Did anyone actually have any servers affected by last leap second?

I saw the fuss, but nothing I was responsible for glitched.

With Gordon on the GMT/BST thing couple of Debian boxes did stupid CRON things on various transitions, on inspection one of them had coded their CRON scripts to try and cope with BST transition, when Vixie CRON already did that correctly.

Bug report was basically "cut the messing about and it will work better".

Really though there is no reason to run Linux servers in anything by GMT, and just set environment variable or settings for program output to have the right timezone. May require re-education of users. Bit of a pain when the displayed time is an hour out, but saves a whole lot of messing once you are trying to track failures across multiple timezones.

"What is this log entry in?" "GMT like all the others".

Although I confess getting it all to GMT is on the to do list for some of my current servers. For one off servers getting the time zone right is probably easier than using GMT. YMMV