Re: [LUG] ebooks - was VirtualBox Again

www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk

On 16.09.2014 16:15, George Parker wrote:
On 16/09/14 09:47, Tremayne, Steve wrote:
I used to download the books to the Kindle as usual and then connect to the PC by USB and copy the books to my hard drive as a backup.
I then opened Calibre and imported the book which strips the DRM.
Wow... I've never tried that... my fiancée's Kobo will have another looking at now.

Her sister has a Kindle (logo follower, no idea about tech... also has an iPhone because, well, just because..., you know the kind of person I mean)

So, I'll have to try a "backup" of the Kindle and see if we can transfer over to the Kobo.

This is just for research purposes obviously - I'm not trying to steal the book.

I don't even like Mills & Boon...

When a friend was over from Australia she tried downloading a book to her Kobo as the prices here are about a third of Australia. But the Kobo was registered in Australia so would not allow the purchase. So as an experiment I bought the book and downloaded to my PC, from there into Calibre and then to her Kobo, which worked. I cannot see how using DRM to stop you shopping around for the best price is fair use.

I tried your suggestions, both loading the book directly from my Kindle for Android to Calibre and saving it to some place else and then loading into Calibre, with both linux and windows versions. I cannot get this to work.

On windows I installed a commercial DRM remover (free trial), which is probably just deDRM with a simplified front end, and had a box pop up for entering the encryption key. So it is needed and must be somewhere the plugin can find it. I know that deDRM has input fields to let you do this, though I've never used them.

So the only thing that works for me so far is Kindle/Nook for PC and then Calibre. With Amazon this is a problem because they don't allow you to send magazine subscription material to the PC, only to mobile devices. Barnes and Noble don't have this restriction, so I've switched my subscriptions to them where possible. I'll have to research some more as I see the Apprentice Alf tools have something for stripping DRM from stuff on phones.

On buying from foreign branches of book stores, I suspect this has a lot to do with publishers and which territories the publishing rights have been sold to. No different from buying real books really, they have to be imports. I did read a story about someone who couldn't by an e-book from the UK store they were signed up to while they were in Singapore on business, Kobo I think. But I haven't found this a problem here in Bulgaria (though maybe this is an EU thing and if UKIP have their way who knows?). I have subscriptions to a couple of US magazines and with B&N I am transferred to the US store and they're priced in dollars, no problem.

DRM on books is an interesting ethical issue. Most of the stuff I like to read appears as pirate downloads, but I try not to use them unless I already have a physical copy, would never buy it or it isn't going to be published in the UK. After all my favourite authors are not producing Hollywood studio blockbusters and need the support and money. But DRM is a pain, I mean you can read a book in bed or on the tube without buying two copies, but I can see that some anti pirating mechanism could be justified.

Interestingly some publishers and authors, Tor and Cory Doctorow for example, insist on no DRM. So there are good reasons not to DRM. German publishers are looking at finger printing e-books, so if a copy appears on line they can trace who bought it. This seems more acceptable to me, after all if you started distributing home printed copies of a book you'd expect and deserve the law to come knocking on your door. Second hand e-books is another minefield, but then publishers have never been exactly delighted by the second hand book trade.

www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk