Re: [LUG] Are BT really toadally incompetent?

On 09/09/14 14:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Tom wrote:

I've seen ISP Customer Service done right - from the inside. The only
one I've seen working- from the outside - is Zen.

Not LLU her yet so - diamonds resting on the shit that is BT...you
dont get what you pay for - just a better ear to whinge to!

You don't need LLU to have a choice. Right now there are about 100 ISPs
who can use the BT Wholesale system - at the top of the list are AAISP,
Entanet (via a reseller) and Zen. There are a few others up at the top
too but I've sort of lost track. All[1] FTTC ISPs have to use the BT
wholesale system and BT Infinity is nothing more than a trade name for
BTs FTTC product.

Note that Plusnet is now owned by BT. AAISP and Entanet (and all their
resellers) and a small number of others will offer native IPv6.

The choice is pay more - but get better customer support - should you
need it, and hopefully a better "internet experience" and (usually) a
one month contract as opposed to being locked-in for 12/18/24 months.
Often you have to pay for your own modem/router for the better ones as
the bulk ones will bundle it to be written off over the 12/18/24 month
period.

The BT wholesale network is relatively good for the most part - ISPs pay
BT to rent circuits over it - and the more they pay, the more capacity
they get.

Unlimited is not economically possible for a BT Wholesale reseller -
pursly because BT charge per byte transfered, however some ISPs offer
unlimited data but amy throttle speed when it gets too high. BT retail
offer an unlimited data package and I've heard that they don't throttle
it - but they probably get a somewhat better deal than the others (even
though they're not supposed to)

Personally, I'd rather support some of the smaller ISPs because it's
good to have competition, and to that end I am also an Entanet reseller,
although I don't generally resell to the general public.

If migrating, get a MAC and *do*not*ever* tell the losing ISP to cancel
the contract - else you'll be liable for a line cease charge *and* a new
line activiation charge. Migration with a MAC should only take miutes
these days, if that. Change the username/password in your router and
reboot.

Gordon
[1] Or a few others who're running their own fibre.

My last three ISP's were small ones - lousy customer support because they had to wait for BT to staff the exchange to get anything done.Lots of hanging around on 0845 numbers queueing. All three went under or in stopped doing it. My last one dumped me over to the co-op and they couldn't offer me unlimited. Shopping around BT were 1/3rd the price for unlimited. As for the MAC - well I got one but given the fact I haven't got a contract with the provider...
Tom te tom te tom