Re: [LUG] Request to mailing list list rejected

On 29/08/14 17:08, Joseph Bennie wrote:
On 29 Aug 2014, at 16:41, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29/08/14 16:29, Simon Avery wrote:
Strongly oppose bad apple's request.

I'm happy with a 40kb limit to stay. I think it is a totally reasonable and
appropriate limit.

This is a mailing list for a geographical area that has many areas of low bandwidth
availability in a country that still regularly has bandwidth limits. I also access
this list via my phone on which I have a bandwidth cap, and signal in any of my
usual places is at GPRS and often at modem dialup rates.

Even if it bandwidth wasn't of huge concern, mailing lists are not a good place to
post large images or attachments.

There are a world of free and easy to use hosting services such as imgur, picasa,
facebook, or self-host and post a link to your image. Users then have a choice,
which they don't if you attach it. Or email somebody directly if you wish. It takes
almost no extra time to upload such an image, and is more efficient than a uu or
mime encoded 7-bit attachment.

As a linux user and geek, I especially reserve the right to give a damn about
efficiency and best practices.

do you realise the irony - so far its taken me 15 min to do this
http://www.cruxppc.com/img/speed.png   while i waited for 2GB of data to compare
over the wire with a server in NY.

and yes i did optimise the file!

a 101KB limit would be much more pragmatic, but keep strict rejection of HTML/Rich mail
… because thats genuine spam.
That would be Simon's comment not mine.

Julian