Re: [LUG] Request to mailing list list rejected

On 29 Aug 2014, at 16:41, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/08/14 16:29, Simon Avery wrote:
>> Strongly oppose bad apple's request.
>>
>> I'm happy with a 40kb limit to stay. I think it is a totally reasonable and
>> appropriate limit.
>>
>> This is a mailing list for a geographical area that has many areas of low
>> bandwidth availability in a country that still regularly has bandwidth limits. I
>> also access this list via my phone on which I have a bandwidth cap, and signal in
>> any of my usual places is at GPRS and often at modem dialup rates.
>>
>> Even if it bandwidth wasn't of huge concern, mailing lists are not a good place
>> to post large images or attachments.
>>
>> There are a world of free and easy to use hosting services such as imgur, picasa,
>> facebook, or self-host and post a link to your image. Users then have a choice,
>> which they don't if you attach it. Or email somebody directly if you wish. It
>> takes almost no extra time to upload such an image, and is more efficient than a
>> uu or mime encoded 7-bit attachment.
>>
>> As a linux user and geek, I especially reserve the right to give a damn about
>> efficiency and best practices.

do you realise the irony - so far its taken me 15 min to do this
http://www.cruxppc.com/img/speed.png   while i waited for 2GB of data to compare
over the wire with a server in NY.

and yes i did optimise the file!

a 101KB limit would be much more pragmatic, but keep strict rejection of HTML/Rich
mail … because thats genuine spam.