Re: [LUG] Skype version

On 09/08/14 11:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Yesterday I received an email about Skype. It tells me that my current
version is being 'retired' and I need to upgrade. So I had a look and
there is indeed a new version for Linux (4.3.0.37-1) which is a deb
file. However this new version is still marked as for Precise whereas I
am now running Trusty.

Anyway I went to my laptop to test it before doing anything on my
desktop where I usually run Skype. (I had never installed Skype on the
laptop.) I downloaded the new version and tried to install it. Although
it is a deb file it came up with an error message about some other deb
file it could not download and would not finish.

So I went to synaptic on the laptop and tried to install the older
version from there. That also came up with a similar message and would
not install. So I gave up on the laptop altogether. Meanwhile the older
version on the desktop is still working well.

Has anyone else on the list come across this at all? My desktop, older,
version is still working (I tested it a few minutes ago) but I am
wondering what will happen when this older version is finally 'relired'.
It seems an odd word to use. Will it suddenly stop working?

Anyone else come across this?

Neil

I had the same message, but I am /already/ running 4.3.0.37 so I think it's just a spam sent by Skype to every user.

Julian