Re: [LUG] Laptop stands

On 12/07/2014 11:05, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:00:51 +0100
> Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/14 10:52, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> I have been searching for a reasonable stand for my new laptop. I
>>> have only recently taken to working with laptops so I am not very
>>> practised yet. So far many of the stands that I have found have
>>> been too expensive and complicated for me. I don't need a cooling
>>> fan or any extra USB ports!! Just a simple stand that will let me
>>> angle my 17" laptop a little so that it is easier to use the
>>> keyboard.
>>>
>>> So, can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? Also does anyone on
>>> the list have any suggestions or recommendations please? I have
>>> come across some reasonably priced ones, but reviews suggest that
>>> they are too flimsy or not suitable for a 17" machine.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> Piece of wood and a riser. Or Piece of wood and a cushion glued to
>> the bottom  then you can use it on your lap as well.
>> If your bit of wood is wider than the laptop you can put a cupholder
>> and small notepad.
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> I thought someone would come up with that. I know it would be cheapest
> but I am no good with woodwork, so it would probably collapse on me
> very soon. But I will still consider it as an option.
>
> Neil

Use a big table mat with a couple of glued on studs at two ends.
Note mat must be wider than laptop and laptop must have feet to allow
air to circulate upwards under laptop to cool it.

I use an old plastic mat with a couple of rising adjustable screw.
It makes a BIG difference to comfort and ease of use of laptop!
Especially if like me you work on documents all day.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald