Re: [LUG] Wireless/Network security testing box

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, Simon Waters wrote:

On 22/06/14 11:24, Kevin Lucas wrote:

can it be done with a Pi?

Yes

you can strap a lappy  type battery to it for enhanced power.

I fear this is the issue, if I want a GUI and keyboard and battery I
need to turn the Pi into a Notebook, at which point I might as well buy
a notebook.

Bingo.

However, I've just built myself a nice little motorola lapdock system - it's a screen + keyboard & trackpad which can power a Pi via its internal batteries.

Under Â100 for the lapdock and cables - plus the cost of the Pi and other bits & pieces.

Similar there are some other smaller Android machines with USB, bit
pricier than the Pi but come with a case, and better hardware which
would be better suited to the task than a Pi.

Indeed - the crux here is the Pi's single USB interface. You'd nee a compatible USB wi-fi dongle - not really an issue, but something else you need. The Pi's USB is USB2, so 420Mb/sec, so fast enough, but USB is also half duplex (so is Wi-Fi), but that bus is shared between the Wi-Fi and on-board Ethernet.

Get a cheap old netbook and buy a new battery for it.

Gordon