Re: [LUG] Wireless/Network security testing box

On Sun, 2014-06-22 at 10:13 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Want to get a box for wireless security, and network security work.
>
> It won't get much use but must be easily portable.
>
> A cheap laptop or netbook fits the bill I hope, or even second hand,
> basically it needs to have USB ports to support relevant USB network
> devices. I'm thinking USB3 speed might sometime be desirable but
> probably USB2 would be fine.
>
> A well supported on-board wireless card supporting reasonably current
> wireless standards would be nice to have, since it means it wouldn't
> always be dangling accessories.
>
> Similarly decent battery life, which may prevent the use of second hand
> laptops. Although maybe an old laptop with a new battery may be a good
> option.
>
> Likely just to stick Kali on it, since it seems to have the tools I
> need, although not used it extensively before. It will also dual boot
> with another linux distro for some other related work, that'll need a
> graphical web browser (in a just X and a browser, who needs a desktop).
>
> I use to do this on my old laptop, but wireless networking has moved on
> from 802.11b, and believe it didn't even have USB, so I won't fetch it
> back. But otherwise a laptop from circa 1998 would probably be more than
> sufficient, since for any heavy lifting I can shuffle PCAP files elsewhere.
>
> I have a box here I can experiment with in terms of trying accessories
> out, but I'm not lugging it, screen and keyboard with me.
>
> I know there are some folk running Kali on Samsung Chromebooks, which
> sounds like a reasonable solution.
>
> Is there a cheaper option? Since with accessories this could add up to a
> fair bill, and whilst some of it I can expense, the laptop/netbook
> itself I want for occasional personal use as well.

can it be done with a Pi?
you can strap a lappy  type battery to it for enhanced power.

Â25 plus wifi adapterÂ7 plus usb hub Â7
it all depends on what what usb network devices you need to get working,
as the pi is a bit choosy with these in my experience.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user