Re: [LUG] Wireless/Network security testing box

On 22/06/14 11:24, Kevin Lucas wrote:

> can it be done with a Pi?

Yes

> you can strap a lappy  type battery to it for enhanced power.

I fear this is the issue, if I want a GUI and keyboard and battery I
need to turn the Pi into a Notebook, at which point I might as well buy
a notebook.

Similar there are some other smaller Android machines with USB, bit
pricier than the Pi but come with a case, and better hardware which
would be better suited to the task than a Pi.

Some folks are using Kali on Samsung Galaxy tablets, but not sure I want
to be using tools like ngrep of a touch screen keyboard, and price-wise
it is similar cost to the Samsung Chrome book.

> Â25 plus wifi adapterÂ7 plus usb hub Â7
> it all depends on what what usb network devices you need to get working,
> as the pi is a bit choosy with these in my experience.

For wireless there are a selection of wireless adaptors with chipsets
known to work with the various tools. Usually it needs to support
"monitor" mode, and some other fun obscure settings. I don't think that
would be a problem, but it'll likely be more than Â7 each, and I'll
probably want two of them if decent Wireless not built in so that it can
act as a Wireless bridge.