Re: [LUG] Laptop battery usage

On 04/06/14 14:51, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have a desktop computer which is the main one for me. I also have a
> laptop for testing etc. My wife also had her own, rather old, laptop
> which has now more or less died. So I am letting her use mine meanwhile.
>
> I now find that she is leaving the power switched on all the time. I
> have always thought that the way to work with laptops was to charge the
> battery fully, then turn off the power, use the laptop via the battery
> and then recharge as necessary.  Leaving the power on all the time, I
> thought, was not a good idea. But then I am fairly new to laptops.
>
> Can anyone advise me on this please?

Yeah, I've got some pretty good advice here: replacement laptop
batteries cost £20, so who cares? I'm not spending three years
constantly bothering with charge/deplete cycles and pulling power cables
in and out to a schedule. I just use my laptop(s) as and when needed
without any care whatsoever for the state of the batteries and then buy
a new one* if/when required.

It should be noted that I've done this with countless laptops over many
years and have only ever had to bother replacing two of them in total
(both Dell, as it happens).

I treat all of my battery powered devices with similar - well, not
exactly contempt, but certainly a lack of regard for something that is
designed to be disposable and does not follow any hard and fast rules of
decline. Sometimes (frequently?) it's just not worth bothering yourself
with stuff like this...

Regards

*I am of course referring to the battery here, not the entire laptop: in
the case of a certain fruity manufacturer or any other failure of a
company that ships devices with non-removable batteries you'll have to
either sensibly not buy their crap in the first place or start agonising
over how to best prolong the battery life.