Re: [LUG] NVidia Graphics Cards

On Tue, 13 May 2014 14:02:14 +0100
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>That is interesting. I am looking at getting a laptop which comes with
>either the built in Intel graphics or an NVidia GeForce GT 740M card. I
>didn't realise that the card could not be replaced.

Few things can be replaced in a laptop.  Battery, memory & HD usually can
but beyond that; "it depends".....

My daughter's laptop had to have a new fan & a new keyboard, but
swapping them wasn't an easy task, TBH.  I have no qualms handling
electronic equipment (I used to do it for a living), but even I had to
resort to <whisper>youtube</whisper> to end my frustration.

>Thanks to all for the replies. Could I also ask again, what is the
>advantage to having a separate NVidia card? Is it mainly that it is
>faster and so better for games? (I have no interest in games).

Gamers tend to play on desktop machines so they can replace parts ad hoc
to get that last microsecond of speed out of their machine.  nVidia
chipsets do seem to have a good rep for games.  Maybe the game makers
code for nVidia chipsets specifically, IDK.

Not being a gamer myself, I've only replaced hardware on an "as needed"
basis.  Usually though, by the time the processor needs changing,
because the machine is becoming too slow, it's probably a good time to
start again, since that ATA superfast drive you built the last computer
with looks like a snail compared with the latest drives.

--
 Regards  _
White people going to school, where they teach you to be thick