Re: [LUG] NVidia Graphics Cards

On 13/05/14 14:02, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2014 12:39:58 +0100
Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my experience, and from reading around various help sites etc, it
would seem that most people who have trouble with nVidia graphics
cards on Linux are those with older cards - or rather cards that
nVidia regards as older.

Some people, such as myself, cannot change the graphics card as it is
built in to the laptop, so must use it or change laptops entirely.

Grant
That is interesting. I am looking at getting a laptop which comes with
either the built in Intel graphics or an NVidia GeForce GT 740M card. I
didn't realise that the card could not be replaced.

Thanks to all for the replies. Could I also ask again, what is the
advantage to having a separate NVidia card? Is it mainly that it is
faster and so better for games? (I have no interest in games).

Neil

Hi Neil,

You assumed right; the main advantage of discrete - as opposed to on the motherboard - graphics is performance. If you do any video or graphics intensive work, or maybe just want to watch HD movies then a laptop with a discrete graphics card will perform better, although with movies even the onboard graphics is likely to be 'good enough'. If however you have no pressing need for powerful graphics then the onboard will probably be fine. If in doubt try Googling for the graphics chipset and your chosen distro.

Julian