Re: [LUG] American cloud ruling

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 07:46:03PM +0100, Simon Avery wrote:
> Mind, I've never been keen on cloud data for security and business reasons
> such as discussed here over the past year or so. I certainly wouldn't put
> anything there I expected to be kept private.

The reality is that for most people and even for most companies, storing
the data at a cloud provider makes it more secure than storing it
locally.

As for the ruling, it's kind of sad, but not too surprising. (There are,
dare I say it, even some sensible arguments in favour of the ruling.)

What I've been wondering though: what if, as an American firm, you set
up your foreign data centers so that you can only access the data with
the involvement of a 'local' person. This person, due to them not being
based in the US, isn't bound to an NSL. That can make a huge difference.

Martijn.