Re: [LUG] RPi visual analysis.

On 26/04/14 19:29, Kevin Peat wrote:
On 26 April 2014 18:09:09 GMT+01:00, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the spirit of Jethro Tull it occurred to me that its time to bring
back the horse plough:
Tull revolutionised farming by introducing the seed drill and matching
hoe - the seed drill laid out the seeds in nice parallel rows and later
99% of the weeds could be killed by the skilful driving of a hoe between
the rows of growing crops.
Labour costs and cheap weedkillers and bad driving have driven out the
practice. Surely modern technology can produce an automatic device to do
the hoeing. All it needs is some way of accurately recognising the gap
between a row of crops.
I'd imagine the Pi with a camera is probably up to this - and
controlling (with a pre loaded field map) a small hoe to wander up and
down the fields using solar and wind power?
Anyone know of any Pi optical groups?
Tom te tom te tom

I guess you didn't see Countryfile a week or two back where they showed a computerised seed planter controlled via gps that made sure the lines were straight and a fertilizer machine that used gps and ground survey data to only add fertilizer exactly where needed.

The age of dumb farmers with dumb farm machinery has long passed.

Kevin

But they dont seem to have a hoe for weeding - cant do that with a big tractor.
Tom te tom te tom