Re: [LUG] Use your RasPI to monitor house temperature

>> Balance radiators: Roll of black insulating tape and an IR thermometer.

LOL – Yes, very practical. But how does that produce lovely RRD graphs showing that the kitchen radiator could be set 5 degrees cooler than the lounge, for the same overall temperature? ;o)

>> Room temps (a): Install TRVs on all radiators.

>> Room temps (b): Zone valves and a better controller.

I agree – after all - once you have your data, you’d eventually need to alter the radiators, otherwise, the whole thing is pointless. But this is complementary, not exclusive.

>> You don't need lots of computers to measure temps. Look into 1-wire systems. Cheap, reliable, extendable.

I agree – I wasn’t excluding 1-wire… my first Pi has 3x 1-wire sensors. This could also work with Arduno, etc, of course…

I’m also looking at this being educational, not just a purchasing exercise

>> Here's some rrd graphs which are fed from mine at home - setup to monitor a few locations, but mostly to assess how efficient my self-installed MVHR actually was. (Answer: Better than expected!)

I see the loft disappeared in Feb – I hope it wasn’t due to the storms! :o)