Re: [LUG] [Maybe OT] Plex Media Server

On Sun, 2014-04-06 at 21:27 +0100, Simon Avery wrote:
> I'm probably doing Plex a dis-service but after a play last year I
> have it filed very firmly under "Too shiny for its own good" and used
> minidlna, but then ended up not actually needing either.
>

> (Also, it's very fat, slow and surprisingly complicated to configure.
> I had minidlna doing what little I wanted in 5 minutes. Plex failed to
> achieve what I wanted within an hour of poking and used a lot of
> resources in the process)

for me Mediatomb does what I need
I do like the /etc/mdiatomb/config.xml

playing with
Alternative Transcoders
<SNIP>
MediaTomb's transcoding support is very flexible and any application
capable of transcoding can be used. For more information, please consult
the MediaTomb Transcoding documentation.
But does not actually support DNLA
DLNA
Note
MediaTomb doesn't implement the DLNA specification and is not a DLNA
media server. It does however offer basic support for some DLNA devices
e.g. PlayStation 3.

    To enable DLNA support, set the extend attribute to yes for the
<protocolInfo> element.

File/etc/mediatomb/config.xml

    <protocolInfo extend="yes">

    If you have a DLNA enabled TV (e.g. Samsung), add the following
section in between the <server> and </server> elements.

File/etc/mediatomb/config.xml

    <custom-http-headers>
      <add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
      <add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org:
DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01500000000000000000000000000000"/>
    </custom-http-headers>
</SNIP>
Interface is dated and on mobile phones it can take a long time to load
say 2000 music listings.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)