Re: [LUG] Cloud Storage

On 6 April 2014 16:27:40 GMT+01:00, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:29:12 +0100
lug@xxxxxx wrote:

I have used Dropbox for the last couple of years and functionally have
no complaints with them but decided to stop using it largely due to
the cost and the Snowden factor.

I set up an ownCloud server earlier this year but found it just too
slow when compared to using Samba shares and rsync which is what I
ended up doing. I also use Unison to sync my laptop with the Samba
server which although not as seamless as Dropbox works well enough.

Kevin

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Samba was
all about sharing files between Linux and Windows. Is that right? I
have absolutely nothing to do with Windows in any shape or form, so
Samba is of no use to me.

Neil

I didn't mean you would use Samba for cloud storage, just used it myself for what is a local solution. Just wanted to impart my experience of ownCloud. I just found the web client and sync speed to be too slow to be useful with a large set of files but ymmv.

Kevin