Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 02/04/14 11:32, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 01/04/14 22:39, Simon Avery wrote:
Not getting into this in any depth, but:

1. CEOPS states that 57% of 9 - 19 year olds have come into contact with
online pornography accidentally.

What use is that age range as a guide?   (Or was it a typo, 9-10 ?)

Also, what exactly is the definition of pornography in this context? I've seen many web adverts that aren't for porn sites that must qualify.

I agree we need a breakdown and more information but surely this is about protecting children and young people from finding material that clearly worries them,

Perhaps the issue is more about innocent searches,  girls of 10/11 may do searches for "breasts"for reasons that should be obvious,  however it is what they then find,   so again how do we better educate people about going through the search results rather than simply clicking on the first item that comes up.

Again we need more information.

Paul

Some years ago a friend of mine in America was a teaching assistant in a kindergarten.  They were doing a science project and one girl wanted to do hers on the human tongue.  To cut a long story short when she did a web search my friend shot across the room, and shortly after content filtering software was installed - as it should have been /already/ in my opinion.

Julian