Re: [LUG] Fwd: Microsoft scam man is sentenced

On 01/04/14 23:42, bad apple wrote:
On 01/04/14 23:17, Simon Avery wrote:
I think these are an excellent use of technology and will help a lot of
people who really dislike driving but do it out of necessity. The next
few years will pose some interesting questions of the law, insurance and
social expectations. As in - if the car is driving, why can't you be
drunk in it? Why can't you send your kids to school in the car while you
go to work? Why can't I, as a walker who doesn't like retracing my
steps, send my car on a few miles ahead and park itself, then tell me
where it is? (Actually, Volvo are working on this already)

A million times this! I never learnt to drive and don't plan to either.
But when the first true self driving car hits the market I will be
running, not walking, to be the first to get one... providing I can sit
behind where the wheel would ordinarily be with a stiff scotch in my
hand. What's the point in a self driving car if I can't just treat it
like a taxi, but one without an annoying human driver I have to pay
(added bonus, the computer will almost definitely be a better driver
than any human anyway, and won't 'entertain' me during my journey with
casual racism).

If I can't peacefully fall asleep behind the wheel of my driverless car
on a long night journey then there really wasn't any point in buying one
as far as I'm concerned. The same goes for a good bottle of wine or two
with the missus whilst the car drives us to London.

I'm not even particularly worried about privacy implications for once,
I'd put up with them for something this cool. Hurry up Google.

Regards

If driverless cars are allowed they need to co-operate. With only about 10% of driverless cars on the road traffic jams will be largely a thing of the past as traffic flow is generally halted by sudden movements - idiots overtaking and pulling in and so on. Maverick drivers will soon be pariahs - driverless cars would be able to drive much more closely to other driverless cars vastly increasing traffic capabilities of roads - if it were not for BMW's. Speeds could be increased safely - and as everyone would be more bunched up much more fuel efficient.
No need for HS2!
Tom te tom te tom