Re: [LUG] Quake on the Pi GPU

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Rob Beard wrote:

On 1 April 2014 07:31:18 BST, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2337214/raspberry-pi-pays-usd10k-to-quake-3-porting-punter

Wow that was quick!

So am I right in thinking that now other 3D stuff will work with the FLOSS drivers
too?

3D stuff using the OpenGL-ES libraries has always run on the Pi. Thats how Quake (and others) were ported more or less on day 1, 2 years ago.

What this is is the result of Broadcom open sourcing some of the internal details on the GPU that's enabled someone (Simon Hall) to produce a more native port of Quake3 to the Pi. It should be faster than going via the ES libraries, but I've not seen an FPS number yet.

This is a big step in producing a "proper" open source 3D driver for the Pi's GPU than relying on closed binary GPU code.

Gordon