Re: [LUG] OT: DHL Spam

On 01/04/14 08:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:42:06 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have had plenty of those. Plus emails about Amazon orders I have
never made. Plus some about tax refunds I am not due. And lots of
others. I seem to be getting a lot more recently. My wife also has
to appear in court for various reasons, all of them in the USA. As
we have never visited that country .....!!
You could of-course *pay* to have someone remove the spam for you. Or
at least manage it.

Try these guys:

    http://antibody.mx/

They're very good.

And don't mention rubbish phone calls. Is it just me or is all this
getting much worse recently?
I don't get any.

My business numbers are published, but my home number isn't avalable
and has been ex. directory since day 1 and registered with the TPS
since day -1.

I have dozens and dozens of lines of asterisk dialplan, just waiting
for the day I get a scam call, but I don't get them.

Change your number. Make it ex. directory and forget about it.

My number has always been ex directory, from day 1. Also it is  set up
to always have my number with-held when I make a call.

My usual tactic when I get an obvious rubbish call is to say that I am
ex directory and my number is always with-held so how did they get my
number? Every time I ask that they ring off, and presumably don't
bother me again.

Neil
The first time I did that, in fairness to the caller, as soon as I mentioned TPS and being ex-directory he said he was terminating the call as he knew it was illegal to have called me. He then gave me - on being asked - the name of the company his employers bought the database from. It does seem sometimes it's a legitimate company working off a badly maintained database. Now, depending on the call, I do ask how they got my number.

Julian