Re: [LUG] [OT] Advice for cheap wifi signal boosting

On 31/03/14 14:50, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> On 31/03/2014 07:43, Tom wrote:
>> powerline is that it doesn’t seem to work across ring mains
> My understanding it only works within a ring main, thus if two separate
> ring mains (downstairs and upstairs in my place) it cannot connect the
> down with the up.

This is my naive understanding of powerline adaptors as well - the
property actually has multiple rings per floor as far as I can tell, let
alone between the three floors, so I was presuming - perhaps incorrectly
- that powerline adaptors were going to be a non-starter. Perhaps I'm
wrong. My friend uses some in his brand new house (the super modern
insulation in his walls kills wifi dead) which I could probably pinch
for an afternoon and take up for some hands-on testing with any luck.

Others mentioned running some Cat5 - I'd really like to do that but
we're not allowed to run wiring, at least initially. The landlady has
pointed out that although it's not common, it's not unheard of -
considering the background of most of the kids under her roof - for
stuff to get vandalised/nicked so any new
boosters/repeaters/switches/etc that go in ideally need to be secreted
away out of sight in a locked cupboard or something, just to be on the
safe side.

I'm hoping just to be able to buy a signal booster of some kind and just
give a really hefty surge in signal power from the original router,
which is in a safe place downstairs out of reach of teenage hands. Next
time I go up I'll at least pace off the building so I have an idea of
square footage I need to cover.

Thanks for all the various suggestions so far anyway all.

Regards