Re: [LUG] [OT] Advice for cheap wifi signal boosting

On 30/03/14 21:47, bad apple wrote:

> So anyone got some good, concrete recommendations for consumer level
> gear to this purpose, preferably something that you've used yourself
> successfully? I initially thought to replace the router's aerial with a
> proper one but sadly the Sagecom only has an internal aerial, so it
> would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I also had a look
> through my box of old/spare wifi routers to see if any of them could be
> repurposed but annoyingly not one of them offers the functionality (I
> thought it was supposed to be common?) or supports reflashing with a
> decent firmware like Tomato, etc.

I assume you mean WDS - wireless repeating. If so it is a mess, don't
even bother unless you buy both boxes from same vendor, and then
ultimately you are overlapping a large part of the wireless signal from
each for the sake of a wire.

Almost certainly you are better of running Cat 5 (mumble Cat 5E, Cat 6E
whatever you can get in your budget) through the place, when your
various old wireless routers will probably play nicely to permit roaming
whoever made them, and however crappy they are. Especially if this is
unencrypted open WiFi deal. They can be spread far and wide, so as to
maximise coverage for the minimum number of routers.

If they take PoE you wall mount, PoE switch, then no one will notice you
didn't bother putting wall points everywhere.

On other hand I just (as in today) bought cheap TP-Link Wireless router
N300 from PC World which comes with decent antenna, and as a result
range is excellent compared to routers without.

Still too early to really recommend it, but no signal degradation is
noticeable where before it was iffy if it worked. But I think that is
typical for the later 802.11 standards, which use similar power output
ratings to the US (30dbm 1Watt). You only get a couple of Mbps at the
edge of the range but it is for quite a distance compared to the old
802.11b.

But if you were thinking TP-Link repeaters I'd say starting with this,
and see how bad things are after it is set up would be a reasonable
first step.

https://waters.me/personal/adsl-router-upgraded/