Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 31/03/14 02:28, Simon Waters wrote:
On 28/03/14 14:32, Tom wrote:
As my daughters age the missuses requests for some kind of blocking
increases.
Any recommendations - pcs and android devices!
There is no evidence of harmful effects from children who seek out porn,
and watch it.

Time better spent ensuring your kids are happy to tell you who they are
going to see, and where, and when they will be back. And are sensible
enough to pick suitable venues when they arrange to meet people they
don't know well. And possibly ensuring you can track any electronics
they have just in case they (daughters or electronics) get lost, or into
trouble.

I agree with you here, so its about education and ensuring kids are confident and secure enough to talk to adults. One of the reasons there are calls for this is that is it seen as demeaning, , so take a picture of a female topless, put the word babe next to it and it is branded offensive and demeaning by women, take a picture of a male topless, and put the work hunk next to it and do we men consider that offensive. I wonder how many of the women who look at this would brand the former as offensive.

I think the government are more worried about access to harder core material depicting rape etc so should this be blocked or identified and removed or do people have the right to rape, make a video and the publish that on-line ? Maybe if these videos lead to victims being identified and helped, then something good comes of it, but at what price.

If you are abused as a child you possibly see your treatment as normal, as in its normal to be "touched" for example, But child abuse and sexual abuse has been happening for decades (if not longer) right under our noses. Before the internet even exisited and before computers existed, Is the Internet being used as a scapegoat and an excuse for censorship, as a way for government to avoid addressing the actual issues and prosecuting those that abuse.

Given that if a child discloses being bullied or assaulted by another child to a teacher or staff member nothing in some cases is done to stop it that is effective what chance do we have of giving a child the confidence to disclose abuse by adults which I would hope no one here on this list would ever consider condoning.

Paul