Re: [LUG] Vigor 2130n strange behaviour

On 30/03/14 20:35, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> What if they're setup individually then they swap codes, the idea is
> that I have complete control and that each person on the LAN is safe
> from one and other.

If you're on a shared medium like wifi and have malicious users willing
to share all possible secrets (SSID, passwords, MAC, certificate files,
etc) and who are sufficiently well informed (subnets, MAC spoofing, etc
aren't a big deal to get around), there's really nothing much you can do
technically to separate them and you shouldn't try.

Look at it another way - if you consider yourself has having two groups
of users (trusted and untrusted), it doesn't really matter as long as
the trusted users don't share secrets with the untrusted ones.  If they
do, demote them to the untrusted group.  The same principle works with
any number of trust levels/groups - if you detect any breach of trust,
demote everyone involved to the lowest common denominator.

This way you retain control*, plus give them all an incentive not to
share secrets.  You then don't have to bother with putting minor hurdles
like MAC filtering in there - they keep their WPA passwords secret or else.

Otherwise I'd agree with big bad apple that you're down to social
controls and banning!

Cheers,

Mike.

* that is, unless they stage a revolution against network filtering and
commandeer the router physically ;)