Re: [LUG] OT: Advice for Windows XP Users

On 29/03/14 22:32, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 04:13:25PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
What about ATMs and Embedded devices running XP? (One would hope the former
would be isolated from the internet, but we all know that's not the only
vector).
At least some of them run Windows XP Embedded which is more secure, and
which will continue to receive updates for some time. But according to
someone who has been studying ATM malware (which is a pretty scary idea
in itself) many run plain XP.
There was a BBC article the other day saying that banks were going to pay Microsoft $1m to continue support for their ATMs on Windows XP until they've migrated off it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/19/are-the-worlds-atms-ready-for-april-xpiration/

Not the article I was loking for but broadly the same points.

Julian